Dr. Kamela Scott will discuss the various psychological variables that can impact patient care, including those patient, family, and provider variables that can lead to a positive or a negative patient care encounter and can impact overall treatment outcomes. This discussion will include strategies for effective communication, both verbal and non-verbal, as well as strategies to de-escalate potentially contentious encounters. Objectives:
- Understand the psychological variables inherent to the patient, the family, and the healthcare provider, that may impact positively or negatively each patient care encounter – what does each entity “bring to the table”?
- Identify how these psychological variables impact communication and understand the key components of effective communication, both verbal and non-verbal, as this relates to the patient, the family, and the healthcare provider.
- Recognize why effective communication is important to physicians and identify strategies to promote overall positive patient/family communication and care encounters – how to avoid the “perfect storm” that is contentious encounters.
- Register at the HSC Training site to attend in person.
- Can’t attend? View the livestreaming video here.
- A post-event recording will be posted here.