The COM would like to support the nomination of woman faculty candidates for ELAM – Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine – for the 2022-2023 fellowship year. The Hedwig van Ameringen Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine® (ELAM®) program is a year-long part-time fellowship for women faculty in schools of medicine, dentistry, public health and pharmacy. The program is dedicated to developing the professional and personal skills required to lead and manage in today’s complex health care environment, with special attention to the unique challenges facing women in leadership positions. More than 1,000 ELAM alumnae hold leadership positions in institutions around the world. UF has a long history of supporting women in leadership positions and for embracing ELAM as the premier platform for developing women leaders in academic medicine. We typically nominate two women faculty per year and have been highly successful with our process in recent years.
The process of applying to ELAM for 2022-2023 starts today! Take the following steps:
- Please read about ELAM and be sure that it is right for you based on your current role, the fellowship content, and time commitment. *Note that it is a requirement for you to have been an Associate Professor for at least two years and have significant leadership experience. Most ELAM fellows have been through other leadership programs including the AAMC early and mid-career programs.
- Please see the official website from Drexel University for the application information and program schedule: https://drexel.edu/medicine/academics/womens-health-and-leadership/elam/how-to-apply/.
- Check with your chief and/or chair to be sure this is feasible for you and your department (Dean’s office pays all fees associated with the program).
- To apply for sponsorship by UF, write short essays and send along with your CV and a Chair’s nomination letter to Melissa Liverman (firstname.lastname@example.org) by October 18, 2021.
- Dr. Zimmermann will head a committee of ELUMs from UF who will review the essays and choose two faculty to present to Dean Koch for nomination to the full ELAM application.
- If you are one of the two nominees, you will need to submit the Full ELAM application to Drexel between November 1, 2021 and January 7, 2022.
- Nomination letters from Dean Koch and 2 recommendations (direct supervisor and colleague) are due to Drexel by January 28, 2022.
Below are nine essay questions for you to address when sending in your COM application packet. Note that these should be identical to the questions you will have to answer for the full ELAM application.
- Briefly describe the range of responsibilities in your current position, including those activities, operations or functions for which you are directly responsible.
- What are your specific 5-year career goals? Be as concrete as possible.
- How will participating in this program help you achieve these goals?
- What do you view as the single most important issue facing your institution?
- If you were Dean, what would you do about this issue?
- What do you view as the single most important challenge your institution presents to you in doing your job?
- What innovative approaches are you taking to meet this challenge?
- What is your personal philosophy or definition of leadership and how does it apply to your professional role?
- Describe a professional situation in which you took a leadership role.
o In what ways were you effective?
o In what ways were you not effective?
o What did you learn from the experience?